General regulations on waste separation and recovery for the environmental protection purpose as follows:
- Appropriate and sufficient waste separation and recovery facilities should be provided at common area convenient to the residents, such as floor refuse storage room and staircase landing.
- The waste separation and recovery facilities should not cause any fire hazard and should be placed in locations not causing obstruction to any fire escape route.
- The types of recyclable materials collected include all waste paper, plastics (e.g. plastic containers and plastic bags), metals (e.g. milk powder cans and cookwares), old clothing, computers, electrical and electronic appliances and rechargeable batteries.
- The waste separation and recovery facilities should be maintained in good working and hygienic conditions to avoid creating nuisance to residents.
- The residents should be reminded of not putting contaminated wastes into the waste separation and recovery facilities.
- Recyclable materials recovered from the waste separation and recovery facilities should be collected regularly. The recyclable materials should be stored at suitable locations such as refuse storage and material recovery chambers properly before sending for reuse/recycling.
- The collected recyclable materials should be sent for reuse/recycling with proper record of the quantities of recyclable materials collected and all collection and transfer transactions.
- Posters should be displayed at conspicuous locations to promote waste separation.
- Activities should be organized on a regular basis to promote environmental awareness of the residents and encourage their participation.
- The residents should be informed regularly of the quantities of recyclable materials collected for reuse/recycling.